College Expenses

West Dundee Office | 847-426-1866

Geneva Office | 630-945-8807

Pucci | Pirtle, LLC
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn YouTube

St. Charles, IL Child Support Attorneys

st. charles child support lawyer

Attorneys Assisting Clients with College and Tuition Expenses

College is an investment in the future, but it is also an expense that can leave students in debt. Expenses, such as tuition, books, room and board, and registration fees can easily add up to thousands of dollars per year. An Illinois state law helps to ease the burden by giving non-minor children the right to seek financial assistance from one or both parents under the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act.

At Pucci Pirtle, we recognize the importance of an education. We also understand that assistance may be necessary for achieving your goals. Our attorneys are skilled in handling all types of child support matters, including those involving the educational support of non-minor children. We can take assertive action in your college expense case and will work aggressively to help you achieve a favorable outcome.

Educational Support for Non-Minor Children

Under Illinois family law, child support typically ends when a child turns 18. However, non-minor children may still receive support for a college education. This provision can last until they obtain a Bachelors degree, or until they turn 23. However, if there is good cause, the term of support can be increased through a modification request.

Determining Educational Support

To determine the amount of educational support that should be paid, the courts consider a number of factors, including the financial resources of both parents, the financial resources of the child, academic performance of the child, and any standard of living that may have been altered because of a divorce. These considerations are then weighed against specific educational costs to determine the amount of support needed. These costs typically include:

  • Reasonable cost of tuition;
  • Reasonable cost of living expenses;
  • Cost of food and housing;
  • Cost of books and supplies; and
  • Cost of medical insurance or dental expenses.

All reasonable costs are based on the average expenses incurred by a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. While attending this college is not required, expenses that exceed this amount will not be factored into the support order. It is also important to note that the court may require that a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) application be completed. Furthermore, if the child is reasonably able to contribute to their expenses, they may be expected to do so using any trusts, annuities, or income they earn.

Termination of Educational Support

All students receiving educational support must be unmarried, and maintain a C average throughout their academic career. Failure to meet either criteria can result in a termination of support. However, support cannot be terminated because of imprisonment, pregnancy, or enlistment in the armed forces. If a parent stops support because of the latter, a student may seek enforcement through the courts. Our lawyers can help you through this process.

If you are facing a college expense child support matter, turn to Pucci Pirtle, a firm you can trust. Our seasoned family law attorneys remain knowledgeable in this ever-evolving area of the law. We will treat your case with the professionalism it deserves and take assertive steps in helping you receive the support you need. To get started, schedule a free initial consultation today. Contact us at 847-426-1866 (Elgin) or 630-945-8807 (St. Charles). We serve all of Kane County, DuPage County, and McHenry County.

Kane County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association McHenry County Bar Association



Back to Top