Is There a Limit on How Much I Have to Pay for My Child's College Expenses in Illinois?

West Dundee Office | 847-426-1866

Geneva Office | 630-945-8807

Pucci | Pirtle, LLC
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn YouTube

Is There a Limit on How Much I Have to Pay for My Child's College Expenses in Illinois?

Elgin Family Law Attorneys Explain How Much You Must Pay for Your Child's Education

There are many factors that are listed in the statute regarding your children's college expenses. Currently, the statute caps the amount of contribution to the amount that someone would pay for state tuition at the University of Illinois. Your spouse may claim that you are supposed to pay more, but that is where our team at Pucci Pirtle can help. We'll make clear the costs that you will be obligated to pay.

There are other factors listed in the statute that the court relies on for reaching a conclusion regarding contribution expenses. There are not any set formulas or percentages set up for comparison, which makes navigating college expenses for your child a difficult area for most attorneys. Our team has years of experience with handling cases to make sure that the child support amount that you pay is best for your financial situation. This way, you do not commit to pay more than you are ordered or settle for payment less than the court may deem as appropriate.

When trying to reach that amount, the court will examine factors such as you and your spouse's financial resources. They will also take into account any financial assistance that your child can receive through financial aid, savings accounts, or trust accounts that they may have. In order for your child to retain these college contributions from you, he or she must keep at least a "C" average during schooling. Payments are to end by his or her 23rd birthday unless schooling was delayed for something such as military service.

Consult a Skilled Elgin Family Lawyer

We at Pucci Pirtle are here to answer any of your questions or concerns regarding payment of your child’s college expenses. If you would like to set up a free consultation, please contact us at one of our few offices listed here below. We serve clients in Geneva, Algonquin, Huntley, and Crystal Lake, and throughout Kane, McHenry, and DuPage counties.

  • St. Charles Office: 630-945-8807
  • Algonquin Office: 224-249-3200
  • Elgin Office: 847-426-1866
Kane County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association McHenry County Bar Association



Back to Top